Don't miss this "Ville d’Art et d’Histoire" (Town of Art and History). The eventful past here has left behind some remarkable heritage sites such as:
- The cathedral and its superb stained-glass windows,
- The Ducal palace, a masterpiece of the Renaissance and often referred to as the "1st Château of the Loire",
- The faience, ancient expert savoir-faire that has been carried through the ages thanks to the talented craftspeople. At the Faïencerie Georges for example, contemporary patterns are added to the pieces that will make you want to put your grandmother's old dishes in the back of the cupboard!
Why is there a car racing track in Nevers?
The famous Nevers Magny-Cours track came about as a result of a crazy dream, that of a Charolais cattle breeder who was passionate about car racing. First of all, it was a simple track, until 1960, when the project took on a whole new dimension thanks to support from François Mitterrand.
Today, those looking for speed come here to have fun on the go-karting track, and those who want to take control can sign up for driving lessons. For those looking for a thrilling show, all sorts of events and championships are organised here!
Alongside the Loire
The Loire is one of the last wild rivers in Europe and it runs along the border of this department, to the west. There is so much to see around the Loire in Burgundy:
- In Pouilly-sur-Loire there is an outstanding Burgundian vineyard. It is right here that the Pouilly-Fumé white wine is made, renowned for its remarkable quality.
- Those looking to admire beautiful monuments should go to La Charité-sur-Loire. The priory is a treasure of Romanesque art and is listed as a world heritage site by UNESCO. It is definitely worth a visit!
- Nature lovers won't be disappointed at the Bec d’Allier nature reserve. A fabulous place where the waters of the rivers Loire and Allier merge. Many birds take refuge here and you can explore the reserve on foot or by boat on one of the nature outings.
Vineyard around Pouilly-sur-Loire
Pouilly-Fumé wine tasting
The natural refuge you've been dreaming of is right here, the Morvan. There are so many experiences to be had in the rolling hills of this Regional Natural Park:
- Relax on the shores of one of Morvan's 6 lakes. One of them, the Lac des Settons, has been awarded the Blue Flag label, an eco-label that showcases the "excellent quality" of the waters. Doesn't that make you want to go for a dip!
- Set off on a hike and climb up to Haut-Folin, the peak of Burgundy. There are no steep uphill sections, it's just an opportunity to walk across the unspoilt landscapes.
- Let the mystery of the historic sites wash over you: Bibracte, the former capital of the Aedui gallic tribe, hidden in the middle of a deep forest. The Château de Bazoches, that still houses the memory of its prestigious owner: Marechal Vauban.