Designed by Buffon between 1733 and 1742, the park is closely linked to the history of the castle of the Dukes of Burgundy on which it is built. Classified as a historical monument in 1947, the park offers a first-rate natural and historical setting along its fourteen terraces.
Aubespin Tower and Saint-Louis Tower
These two 14th century towers are, along with the Saint-Urse church and the ramparts, the most visible remains of the former medieval fortress. The 46-metre-high Aubespin Tower has four vaulted rooms and an upper terrace that offers a remarkable view of Montbard and the Brenne valley, through which the Burgundy canal runs. The Tour Saint-Louis, redesigned by Buffon in the 18th century, was the summer study, laboratory and library of the famous naturalist. The precise function of the towers in the Middle Ages has yet to be determined.
Buffon rarely gave access to this intimate place where he spent many hours composing the 36 volumes of the Histoire Naturelle générale et particulière. The walls covered with engravings, the marble fireplace and the portrait of Newton recreate the special atmosphere of this place steeped in history, where Jean-Jacques Rousseau knelt in admiration.
- 03 80 92 50 42
- 03 80 92 50 57
- French, English
- American Express, Credit card, Cheques and postal orders, Cash
- Pets not allowed
- Picnic area
- Specific theme activities
- Adult workshop
- Junior workshop
- Temporary exhibitions
- Base rate - full rate adult (Guided tour)
- Child rate (Under 18s)
Brochures Bourgogne Tourisme
Consult our brochures online or order them to receive at home