The Saint-Charles chapel, located in the town cemetery, is the burial place of the Charbonnel family.
The Napoleonic general Joseph Claude Marguerite Charbonnel took part in practically all the campaigns of the Empire. Among his honours, he was awarded the title of Baron of the Empire in 1808 and the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour in 1824. His name appears under the triumphal arch of the Étoile in Paris.
The general settled in Is-sur-Tille in 1819 where he became the owner of the castle. Very popular with the population of Is-sur-Tille, he was elected mayor of the town in 1824. He was also the town's main donor.
On the eve of his death in 1846, he entrusted his wife, Countess Mélanie Charbonnel, with the task of building a chapel to house his burial and that of their only daughter, Caroline, who died at the age of 8.
The construction of the chapel, in Gothic style, began in July 1848.
On her death in 1874, Countess Charbonnel bequeathed the chapel and the surrounding land to the commune.
In 1888, by court order, the chapel was returned to Count Charles Gudin, nephew and heir of the countess, as the commune had not fulfilled the conditions of the bequest.
Due to construction defects, the chapel was declared a ruin by the Department's architect, some 30 years after its construction. Count Gudin undertook renovation work.
The chapel of Saint-Charles became the property of the commune in 1929, through a bequest from Count Gudin's daughter, the Marquise de Beaucorps.
The chapel was entirely renovated by the town of Is-sur-Tille in 2022, with the help of the Heritage Foundation: the roof, zinc work, interior walls, ceilings, door, stained glass windows and finials have been restored to their former splendour.