The church of Saint-Sernin-du-Bois is dedicated to the 3rd century bishop and martyr, Saint Saturnin of Toulouse. The existence of a priory at Saint-Sernin-du-Bois is known at the end of the 11th century. The primitive church was built between the 12th and 13th centuries. Vestiges of this period attest to its origin. It was fortified in the 13th century and then the progressive abandonment of the priory led to its dilapidation. Abbot Fenelon undertook repairs when he arrived at Saint-Sernin in 1745, then decided to rebuild it in 1767. The bell tower was restored in 1928. During this intervention the tavaillons (wooden tiles) are replaced by slates. The original wooden tile roof of the bell tower was reinstalled in 2018.
Brochures Bourgogne Tourisme
Consult our brochures online or order them to receive at home