The church in La Roche Vineuse stands on top of a steep rock where once stood a long-gone fortified castle. It is dedicated to Saint Sorlin, corruption of the word Saint Saturnine, Bishop of Toulouse. The early pre-Romanesque church already existed in 962, it was then part of Cluny before becoming parish church for the village. It was expanded in the 15th century and in 1834, but that was not enough. The municipality had the present Neo-Gothic church built on its site in 1853 to a design by the Mâconnais architect Ancelin.