The present church of St Peter and St Paul of Ligny-le-Châtel dates from the beginning of the 16th century (12th century for the oldest part)
The church had to undergo the many dramatic events that the town experienced (looting and fires) and was transformed at several times. At the end of the 15th century, the people of Liné wanted to enlarge their church and approached the chapter of Langres cathedral. The canons hesitated for a long time but finally, in 1539, an agreement was reached with the inhabitants of Ligny who agreed to build the chapels.
On August 27, 1554, the first stone was laid. The construction of the choir lasted until 1610 or 1624. Such a long delay can be explained by the financial difficulties of the families who had committed themselves to the construction of the chapels (the fire of 1611 ruined all the inhabitants). It is also possible that the initial enthusiasm cooled down with the passing generations.