The church of Saint-Pierre de Solutré, at the foot of the rock, was founded by the abbey of Cluny in the 10th century: built in 932 by Odon de Cluny on an estate given to the abbey by King Raoul, the former Duke of Burgundy; the church was consecrated in 935 by the Bishop of Macon, Mgr Bernon, under the title of Saint Pierre. Rebuilt at the beginning of the 12th century, it still has parts of the walls of the nave, the apse, the barrel choir, the dome above the bell tower, the chevet and the base of the bell tower from this Romanesque period.
In 1874, many changes were made at the instigation of Abbé Ducrost, the parish priest of Solutré (lengthening of the nave, demolition of the narthex, construction of the sacristy), based on plans by the architect Adrien Pinchard (1875-1898)
In 1968-1969, the choir was restored in exposed stone. Modern stained glass windows by the master glass artist Bertrand de Sermesse were installed in the choir and in the bay under the bell tower.