The church of Saint-Mard-de-Vaux has as its patron Saint Médard, bishop of Noyon. The contraction of the name of Saint Médard into Saint Mard can be found in a report of the pastoral visit of the church in 1744 by Monseigneur François Madot, bishop of Chalon-sur-Saône (1711-1753).
The church was rebuilt in 1766, in late Romanesque style, in the spirit of the original bell tower. It was consecrated in 1769.
In front of the church, a calvary dating from 1630, registered as a Historic Monument in 1950, comes from the cemetery. This calvary bears, on one side, the crucified Christ, on the other, the Virgin and Child. Saint Médard, patron saint of the church and of farmers, invoked for good weather or rain, is represented as a bishop on the shaft. He is wearing the mitre and the episcopal crosier. On the dice, above the circular base, is engraved the date 1630.
Brochures Bourgogne Tourisme
Consult our brochures online or order them to receive at home