At the entrance to the Vallée des Vaux, Saint-Martin-sous-Montaigu is a wine-growing village of 380 inhabitants spread out at the foot of a hillside dominated by La Croix du Teu and the ruins of the Château de Montaigu (not always visible in the
vegetation). It produces wines classified as Burgundy, Mercurey or Mercurey 1er cru.
The church, identifiable all around thanks to its very particular bell tower, with its stone spire surrounded by 4 small bells, is located in the center of town in a kind of enclosure (remnant of the old cemetery) and turns its back to the town hall.
It is dedicated to St Martin. Courtépée, the illustrious Burgundian historian of the 18th century, reports that tradition places its foundation in 1015, but it has undergone numerous
but it has undergone many changes, especially in the 16th century.
It is oriented according to tradition, with the choir to the east. One enters through the south side door.