The church in Prissé has a long and complex history. From the early 10th century, a charter mentions a Saint Martin’s church of Prissé.
In 1143 its renovation was undertaken by the bishop of Mâcon. The present building facing west shows signs of a Gothic church properly facing east.
In 1793 the church was sold as “national property”, the citizen Barjot de la Combe bought it and returned it to the municipality.
In 1861, His Grace Bishop De Marguerye wants to enlarge the church, adopted in 1863 by the parish council. The architect of St.Peter's Church in Mâcon, André Berthier, draws up the plans of a three-nave Neo-Gothic church; the building work is entrusted to Benoît Dubief, stonemason in Prissé. The capitals and stained-glass windows are funded by the parishioners. The axial stained-glass window is signed by the famous stained-glass artist Edouard Didron (1876). The church was consecrated by Bishop Perraud in 1878.
Brochures Bourgogne Tourisme
Consult our brochures online or order them to receive at home