The church of Saint-Martial de Demigny has taken the place of a very small sanctuary from around the year 1000, ruined by the wars between the kings of France and the dukes of Burgundy and become
too small for a village of this importance. It was already dedicated to Saint Martial, a missionary sent from Rome in the 4th century to evangelize the region and
and became the first bishop of Limoges.
The present church was built between 1460 and 1470 and has not been modified since. The architects of Demigny preferred to create an atmosphere of elegance in the gothic style
Demigny's architects preferred to create an atmosphere of contemplation by placing the vaults lower and opening modest windows in the side walls.
As in several neighbouring churches, this "Cistercian" sobriety also reveals the influence of St Bernard, who was an enemy of all unnecessary luxury in churches.
The church was declared a historical monument in 1946.