The church of Saint-Firmin was originally placed under the name of Saint Martin. Saint-Martin-de-Chaseul took the name of Saint-Firmin in the 15th century when his relics were transferred to the village church.
The church was placed under the patronage of the priory of Saint-Sernin-du-Bois, which provided priests. The prior of Saint-Sernin-du-Bois was the lord of the bell tower, however the chapel of this church belonged to the lord of Breuil, because of his fief of Vesvre, an alternative hamlet of this parish and Saint-Firmin
The church of Saint-Firmin, thanks to the last prior, J. B. Augustin de Salignac-Fénelon, underwent a major restoration in the 18th century (1767)
Abbot Pierre Dufresne, who served Saint-Firmin from 1784, was an insertive priest in 1792, arrested, imprisoned in Mâcon and then deported to the island of Ré for having, in 1795, sawn down the tree of Liberty planted in Saint-Firmin.
The church was redesigned in the mid-19th century, with the addition of a north side chapel (1868) and a sacristy in the axis of the sanctuary.