The chapel was built in 1451 by Louis de Chantemerle, Lord of La Clayette. Aspiring to a certain independence, he wished to have his own church and this favour was granted to him by the bishop of Mâcon. In flamboyant gothic style, a rare example of this architecture in the Brionnais, it was built near the hospital for the poor. The Chapel, the main place of worship in La Clayette, was until the Revolution an annex of the parish of Varennes-sous-Dun. In 1790, the first municipal assemblies were held in the chapel under the presidency of Mr. La Metterie, a lawyer who became the first mayor of La Clayette. It was then gradually neglected until no more services were held there. The municipality has carried out the development of the surroundings of the chapel: the garden offers a small haven of peace to walkers. The chapel, now disused, is a cultural place that hosts exhibitions, shows and concerts.