It is named after the hill on top of which it was built. In 1870, at the time of the Prussian invasion, the inhabitants of Menou had decided to build a chapel there if the Prussians did not penetrate their territory. As Menou was not invaded, their wish was granted and the first stone was laid on 15 August 1873.
The architecture of this chapel is simple: a façade framed by two towers, a portal with columns and semi-circular arches, and buttresses to consolidate the walls.
Around 1950, under the impetus of Father Maxime Jeannot, Menou's parish priest, three talented artists contributed to the renown of this chapel. A statue of the Virgin, the work of the painter and sculptor Robert Pouyaud (1901-1970), crowns the building. Inside, murals by the poster artist Charles Loupot (1892-1962) depict the life of the Virgin with stylized characters. The very colourful stained glass windows by the master glass artist Max Ingrand (1908-1969), renowned in France and abroad, magnify the light of the place.