The origins of Vitteaux lie on a plateau: the "Montagne de Myard" which dominates the town to the west. 6000 years ago (Neolithic period), the first sedentary breeders and farmers of the Auxois cleared the northern end of the plateau. They built a fortified village, in a "barred spur", protected by a dry stone wall reinforced by the naturally defensive cliffs. This village was abandoned around 1800 BC, destroyed by a violent fire. After being deserted for nearly 1000 years, the site was reoccupied 3000 years ago (Final Bronze Age). On the ruins left by the Neolithic peasants, a new and real rampart was erected with the reinforcement of quadrangular towers. The remains left by the Bronze Age men are, thanks to the archaeological excavations carried out from 1969 to 1976 and in 1996 and 1997, visible and accessible nowadays
The route is signposted and marked with explanatory panels.