The village of Château is located 5 km to the west of Cluny. The church, dedicated to Saint-Martin, is isolated above the village, on the Garenne Mountain, at the top of a rocky outcrop which is reachable by a narrow path leading to a graveyard and to the former presbytery. The edifice, a former castle's chapel, had become too small and even cramped. So it was almost entirely reconstructed in 1848 (transept and apse). The nave was the only part to be retained.
To the north of the church, the 20 meter-high castle's dungeon was turned into a bell tower for the new church, to which it was connected. This massive tower constitutes the last remnant of a fortified house. At the end of the 9th Century, Louis the Bègue, who was the king of the Franks from 846 to 879, had given its ownership to the Canons of Saint-Vincent's Cathedral of Mâcon.
Last update : 25/11/2020
Please insert a distance in order to get nearby points of interest