In the Middle Ages Decize had a belfry consolidated in the middle of the 17th century and surrounded by shops and two chapels, adjacent to the old hospital. In 1847, the town council decided to raze the chapels, shops and belfry to the ground in order to build a "new tower" more worthy of the town. The tower was inaugurated on 23 September 1849. It measures 33 meters at the top of the bell tower. At the same time, the people of Decize honoured the memory of Guy Coquille. A statuary is chosen : Louis Rochet (1813-1878), known for his works noticed at the 1840 and following years Salons and for his statues representing great characters (Madame de Sévigné) but his masterpiece is the group constituted by Charlemagne and his leudes (in front of Notre Dame de Paris)
The statue in Decize is made of cast iron. Guy Coquille is represented in full length, in the costume of the magistrates of the time of Henri IV. His bald head bent over, his serious and thoughtful face denote meditation, work and vigilance.