A monster of power and the emblem of Le Creusot, the steam hammer dominates the entrance to the town of Le Creusot. It was François Bourdon, an engineer at the Le Creusot factories, who developed the first steam-powered drop hammer in 1840. In 1876, the Schneider company created this forging tool, which, despite its size and its 100-ton hammer, made it possible to carry out extremely precise work. Dismantled in 1930, it has since adorned the Place du 8 Mai 1945. It has become the emblem of the town and has even been recognised as a "historic heritage of mechanical engineering" by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.