At the end of the 12th century, Couches was separated into two distinct territories: Couches en Royauté and Couches en Duché. The village, in royalty, developed under the protection of the King of France. The origin of this ownership dates back to the treaty of 1186 granting the monks royal protection. The monks provided the King's soldiers with a military building to oppose the lord of the Château de Couches. The current building dates from the 15th century and the glazed tile roof from the 19th century. The grounds include trees that are almost 500 years old. At the entrance are two small towers on either side of the gate. In the courtyard, a large square tower. It is known as "La Tour Guérin". Outdoor visit only.