The neo-Romanesque church of Saint-Pierre de Mâcon, built between 1859 and 1865 and blessed by Mgr de Marguerye, was designed according to the plans of the departmental architect André Berthier (1811-1873), a pupil of Henri Labrouste and contemporary of Eugène Viollet-le-Duc (1814-1879). The building is a model of historicism or eclecticism of the 19th century. The church has a three-storey neo-Romanesque façade. Three semi-circular portals with tympanums decorated with bas-reliefs structure the façade
Crossing this porch, one enters a gothic-inspired nave of six bays on crossbeams. The arches of the bays are topped by a triforium (upper gallery). The sculpture of the capitals is the work of the sculptor Mathieu Gautheron. The side aisles, opening on each side on six chapels, and the five radiating chapels of the choir, were decorated by the great artists of the time such as the painters-decorators Jean-Baptiste Beuchot, Édouard Krug, Victor Bussière, and by the Parisian master glassmaker Édouard Didron (1836-1902).
The interior of the church contains beautiful works from the 17th and 18th centuries, in particular the baroque painting by Jean-François de Troy (1732), Vincent de Paul preaching before Pierre-Emmanuel de Gondi, general of the king's galleys. The choir is adorned with a neo-Gothic organ case, listed as a Historic Monument, built by the famous Parisian organ builder Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in 1866 and with contemporary liturgical furniture by the sacred art sculptor Philippe Kaeppelin (1987).