The church of Saint-Germain de La-Ferté-Loupière was built at the very beginning of the 12th century. From this primitive church, the magnificent entrance porch in pure Romanesque style and, on either side of the main nave, the first three semicircular arches remain. On the crossing of the transepts, extending the ascendancy of the tiled roofs, rises a fine slate spire
The church is classified as a Historic Monument, as are its remarkable wall paintings and a bell dating from the 14th century
Over the centuries, the buildings were built in superimpositions:
In the 14th and 15th centuries, a Gothic church was built on a second level. Destroyed with the town during the Hundred Years' War, the church was rebuilt by Pierre de Courtenay in the flamboyant ogival style of the time: the last arcades are ogival, as are the windows on the façade, where some remains of the original stained glass can still be seen. In the choir, a stained glass window represents the arms of this lord with those of his wife, which allows us to think that the reconstruction of the church was done between 1471, date of his marriage with Perrine de la Roche, and 1504, date of his death. All the arches are supported on the sandstone piers of the Romanesque church, about 1.20 m from the ground, as the original paving is buried two metres below. The capitals of the pillars are decorated with geometric motifs, scrolls and plant decorations.
In the 17th century, the building underwent a third elevation and new transformations, such as the raising of the vault of the main nave, the widening and raising of the aisles, and the provision of natural light through round-arched windows
In the 19th century, the choir vaults and those of the two chapels were replaced by the present, much higher barrel vaults; their windows were then blinded, as were those in the nave. Next to the window in the right aisle there is a low door with a lintel decorated with an arch. Behind the altar in the choir, the large glass window at the back has a stained glass window made in 1889. Finally, the magnificent 15th century spiral staircase in the left-hand chapel should be noted
The church is home to an exceptional Danse Macabre, one of the few dances to exist in France. It is preceded by a Dict des Trois Morts et des Trois Vifs. Under this ensemble, which occupies the entire north wall, are depictions of Saint Michael slaying the Dragon and the Virgin of the Annunciation. These four murals date back to the end of the 15th century and the 16th century. The Danse Macabre is 25 metres long and features 42 characters. It opens with a seated writer recording the figures on his parchment. Then come three skeleton musicians who give rhythm to a terrifying saraband. Then the procession marches on, made up of 19 pairs of Living, each escorted by its Dead. This group of clerics and laymen represents the entire social hierarchy of the time. The Living stand out against a white background, dressed in colourful costumes in harmonies of ochre, earth, green, pink and violet. The expression on their faces reflects the fear of the Living in the face of their grimacing death. The Danse Macabre delivers a triple message: death is unexpected, inevitable and above all, it restores equality between all men.
The rarity of the theme of the Danse Macabre - there are only six in France - as well as the exceptional quality of the work, make the church of La Ferté-Loupière one of the major attractions of the region. The church of Saint-Germain is part of the Network of Mural Paintings of Puisaye-Forterre.
In 1911, the Monuments Historiques classified the church of La Ferté-Loupière and its murals. In 2009, they earned the town the Grand Prix of the Prince Louis de Polignac Foundation.