The present church of Virey-le-Grand, of neo-Romanesque style with three naves, built in 1859, replaced an older building with a remarkable bell tower. It was one of the most beautiful in the diocese, with a square tower with two floors of semi-circular windows. It was surmounted by a stone pyramid spire with four ramps. This old church was considered too small and in too bad a state to be repaired according to the 1852 report by the architect Narjoux. Its bell tower, which had become too dangerous, was demolished in 1853.
Charles-Louis Bandet (1815-1889), parish priest of Virey from 1856 to 1866, writer, realized the construction project of the church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, whose dogma was proclaimed in 1854. The new church of Virey-le-Grand was built in 1859 on the plans of the architect André Berthier, revised with the addition of the communes of Fragnes, La Loyère, Lessard-le-Royal which led to the extension of the nave by one bay. It was inaugurated in 1860 and the
altars were consecrated in 1861.