After the destruction by order of Louis XI of the feudal castle located south of the church, of which only two sections of wall remain, the castle of Besne was built during the second half of the 15th century by Guillaume de Grandrye, lord of Saint-Péreuse, on the ruins of an earlier building dating from the 13th century of which only the cellars remain
In 1794, the Count of Aunay sold Saint-Péreuse, Coeurty and Besne to Pierre-François Tassin, a descendant of Jehan Tassin, a companion of Jehanne d'Arc and one of the defenders of a gateway to Orléans in 1429 during the siege of the town by the English. Pierre-François Tassin, whose family was ennobled by Louis XVI, was able to add the name of Saint-Péreuse to that of Tassin. The building underwent very few changes in the 19th century and retains a medieval look thanks to its 4 round towers
Baron Pierre Tassin de Saint Péreuse (1910-1995) was made "Compagnon de la Libération" by General de Gaulle in 1941 and was mayor of the commune from 1977 to 1983
The castle is still owned and lived in by his family
Contact the owner for more information about the visit.