The Fourneaux shaft was dug to a depth of 130 metres by the Société des Houillères du Grand Moloy in the commune of Saint-Léger-du-Bois.
It was brought into production in 1928 and then purchased by Société des Houillères et Chemins de fer d'Épinac.
Société Minière des Schistes Bitumeux (SMSB) bought the mine in 1943 to supply its shale oil distillation plant, before closing the shaft in 1950. The site was left derelict, with only the old headframe standing the test of time. Years later, the headframe was cleared and cleaned by the association de Sauvegarde du Patrimoine Industriel Epinacois (Epinac industrial heritage preservation association), and the site was enhanced with explanatory plaques.