A brief look at the main châteaus in Northern Burgundy
Along the banks of Burgundy's very own "Valley of the Kings", Burgundy Canal, there are some superb examples of the links - both artistic and political - that Burgundy once had with the Crown during the Renaissance period.
- Ancy-le-Franc: A square plan with four corner pavilions in perfect symmetry, a superb inner courtyard with elegant arcades, paintings by some of the great masters... A palace fit for a king!
- Tanlay: One of the most beautiful Renaissance-style châteaus in the region, with the memory of an eventful chapter in the History of France: the Wars of Religion and the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre
- Saint-Fargeau: a towering pentagon of pink brick with 6 towers topped with steeples
Châteaus chosen as filming locations
A great number of directors have chosen the châteaus of Tanlay and Ancy-le-Franc as their filming locations. Romance or swashbuckler films… over the years, the films have become even more diverse!
Châteaux that are very much alive and kicking!
All year round at these châteaus, there's always something going on! Sound and light shows, concerts, exhibitions, evening tours, sporting events, etc. there's always something happening! Entertainment suitable for the whole family.
- In Saint-Fargeau every summer, the château's façades are lit up and the gardens are filled with the sound of cannon fire, music and singing, for an epic sound and lights show.
- In Ancy-le-Franc, there is entertainment all year round! Concerts for the Festival Musicancy, musical tours, exhibitions in partnership with Lego, etc.
- In Tanlay, every year is a sporty one, with the trail-running events "le 20h de Tanlay" and "Trail Tanlay Raidlight". Ready, set, go!
- Set off in the footsteps of the fairy Mélusine in Maulnes on the fun tours in the form of games.
Legendary and historic characters
Throughout the fascinating history of Burgundy, many legendary people and characters from myths and legends have either lived or stayed in the precious châteaus of Burgundy: the fairy Mélusine in Maulnes, the Grande Mademoiselle in Saint-Fargeau, and, of course, Admiral Coligny in Tanlay.
There are so many captivating stories to discover, either real or imaginary! Come and put yourselves in the shoes of these characters!
Chablis wine tasting
These châteaus are not far from the Chablis vineyard. Come and explore the thousand-year-old "terroir" of these dry white wines that are renowned for their finesse, their freshness and their minerality. Stop off at the winegrowing estates and leave with a few great bottles of wine!
See these châteaus on the map
Other historical visits
Gallic ancestors, the powerful Dukes of Burgundy, great abbeys, Burgundy is an open-air history book for all periods throughout history! Fans of heritage sites and culture will not be disappointed.