The sacred takes pride of place in the Yonne district.
Sacred music has its own festival in Burgundy! At the end of August, Vézelay and its neighbouring municipalities welcome the Rencontres Musicales de Vézelay. A festival where art, architectural heritage and ‘magical’ discoveries all come together in the heart of the Yonne district.
A high quality programme…
In Burgundy, the end of the summer holidays is celebrated with music, and the ‘Rencontres Musicales de Vézelay’ are artistic events not to be missed in the region. For four days the most beautiful sites of Vézelay, Avallon, Asquins and Saint-Père ring to the sound of the concerts.
A major element of the success of this event is its programme, which blends classical works with contemporary musical creations, all orchestrated by the best performers of sacred music.
… in the heart of the churches
During the festival, ten concerts are organised in remarkable locations infused with a sense of history and with outstanding acoustics:
- the Basilica Sainte-Marie-Madeleine de Vézelay, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site, masterpiece of Burgundy Roman artistry from the 12th Century ;
- the church of Saint-Jacques d’Asquins, situated on the Santiago de Compostela Way, as is Vézelay ;
- the church of Notre-Dame-de-Saint-Père, with its flamboyant gothic style, built between the 12th and 15th Centuries ;
- the collegiate church of Saint-Lazare-d’Avallon, a Roman style building decorated with zodiac signs.
A celebration for all the family
Whilst the concerts of the ‘Rencontres Musicales de Vézelay’ are held in the evenings, the music still goes on during the daytime.
To pass the time till 9pm, you might be interested in:
- tasting – in moderation – some of the fine wines of the region ;
- istening to the free concerts that light up the streets ;
- exploring the historical and natural heritage of the towns that are taking part, with musical walks, of course!
And right before the evening concert, musicology workshops open a window onto all of the works being performed (the context in which they were created, an analysis of their writing, etc.)
Cité de la Voix - 4, rue de l'hôpital - 89450 - VEZELAY -
24/08/2017 - 27/08/2017
Please insert a distance in order to get nearby points of interest